Bringing Claims for Housing Disrepair

Living in a property which is in disrepair can be very stressful and may have a serious impact on your health and wellbeing.

If you have reported the disrepair to your landlord and they are refusing to do anything about it, then you may be able to make a claim to the Court for an injunction to force your landlord to carry out repairs.  You may also be able to make a claim for compensation for the distress and inconvenience caused to you and for any belongings which were damaged as a result of the disrepair.

Local Authorities also have duties to help tenants who are living in defective properties where the landlord is refusing to carry out repairs and you should also consider contacting your local council’s environmental health department.

Legal Aid is available in a limited number of housing disrepair cases where the disrepair is presenting a risk to life or a serious risk to health. If your home is in serious disrepair then do contact us and we can consider whether legal aid can be granted. Legal Aid is only available for help in obtaining an injunction from the Court to force your landlord to carry out repairs. It is not available for help with obtaining compensation. We may be able to help you in obtaining compensation in other ways so please do contact us to discuss this further.

Legal Aid funding is always subject to a means (income and capital) assessment. Check your financial eligibility here.